Monday, February 18, 2008

Sorry I missed it!

I am totally bummed that I missed our girls night out...I guess that means we need to do it again, right? I want to hear how it went, and who showed, and if it helped to hear each others training stories.

My life has been very overwhelming and extremely crazy. Along with personal and family issues, I've pretty much had to start my training all over again. I guess not "all over" because I can run a bit faster and a bit farther than when I first started.

I got really bad shin splints. I could barely walk for about a week, and walking down stairs would bring me to my knees. I had to let them heal, and now I have to be careful with increasing my runs too quickly.

I hate to admit that this is the first physical limitation I have had from being overweight. I have lived in denial for quite a few years because I've always been able to workout and play sports, among other activies. I have about 60-70 lbs. to lose. (to put me at a healthy BMI) When I first got my shin splints, I was very discouraged. I considered dropping out of the race, losing weight, then trying again. I came to the conclusion that I can still participate and finish this 1/2 marathon. I may have to walk a good bit of the way, but I will still finish it!

I just wanted to thank all of you who have posted, the encouragement is great. I realize that we are all on different levels, but we share similar goals and are all working through challenges. I really was sad to miss the get-together, and hope to see you all soon!

Sherian

2 comments:

Leslie Peterson said...

To my sweet Sherian,
I am sending you a big hug! you are having a hard time! I am so impressed and proud of you to be so positive and keep going. You will come out from under this cloud and be able to move on. As far as the race goes, you are training-just missed a couple workouts. and there's nothing wrong with walking a marathon.keep going we're here for you! les

Anonymous said...

Sherian,
You were definitely missed at the girl's night out. We are going to have a girl's night out once a month and it's almost March so the next one is just around the corner!

I'm sorry you are going through such a challenging time. I am very pleased with your attitude to keep going, amidst all the set backs. That shows great courage and strength. You are an amazing person and an inspiration to me that no matter how tough things get you can keep reaching towards your goal.
Keep up the great work.
Niki