Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Shin splint Emergency!
Ok, so I don't know if I have officially shin splints, but I ran my 10 miles Saturday, took Sunday and Monday off . then started running Tuesday morning and my left shin is having some soreness, I knew I couldn't keep running on it, I have just been walking this week and doing lots of stretching. so any advice, any experiences to share? am I done for? Can I still run my 1/2 marathon? I 'm feeling panicked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congrats on the 10-miler! That is awesome! I wish I had some advice on the shin splints.
OK-this has been my story, I haven't wanted to share because I am rather disappointed by everything. My first 6 weeks went very well. For me...it first hit at 5 miles. I tried to push through the pain, which is the worst thing you can do! I had to take 3 full weeks before I could try again. Unfortunatly, now six weeks later I am back at the doctor's again. On Sat, Sun, and Mon, my feet and ankles were crazy swollen, and Tues had more than doubled in size. He put me on a series of steroids, and I should get my bloodwork results tomorrow. I'm praying there isn't serious damage. The good news...I have struggled with them since mid Feb, and have tried to train around it. Where you only have a few weeks to go, I bet you can get through it. Congrats! 10 miles is so awesome! I am hoping at this point the Doctor gives me the OK to walk it. If you go to Walgreens, they carry braces for shin splints. They really made a difference for the first few weeks, which may be enough. Also...anytime you are sitting down, write the alphabet with your big toe, and ice like crazy after every run...even if you don't feel pain. Be careful! I honestly wish I had been smarter and started slower (or with 30 less pounds on me), because now I'm paying for it. Don't hesitate to see your Doctor, he may have better advise than mine!
Maybe it's time for new shoes???? I don't know what else to say except if the pain is still there and you've changed shoes (if they are older), are stretching really good after runs then maybe a visit to your doc is the next move. Good luck!
I keep forgetting to sign my name - Niki
Post a Comment